Saturday, July 5, 2014

Homemade Vanilla

I love vanilla.

I use alot of vanilla.

Really, really good vanilla is not cheap.  I've been buying watkins vanilla for years.

I decided to make my own! And the results were great! :)


Here's what you need to make homemade vanilla.
 - An air-tight glass jar/container.
 - One cup of 80 proof vodka
 - 3 vanilla beans. (The link takes you to the beans I buy off of amazon.  Great bang for the buck!)

How to make the vanilla
1.  Pour vodka into jar/container.
2.  Slice vanilla beans open lengthwise.
3.  Place beans in vodka, screw on lid tightly, and leave in a dark, room temperature place for 1 month minimum.  Maybe give it a shake every once in a while.

After a month you can use the vanilla as you would normally. You can see below the vanilla I made with vodka has a nice caramel color to it.  This is about 2 cups worth of vodka because, like I said, I use alot of vanilla.  Below it, is a 1 cup version I made with some bourbon I had on hand, much darker.  And it is amazing!  The bourbon vanilla is one that is best used for non-baking recipes to really appreciate the flavor, like whipped cream, puddings, etc. Or even a little in a hot tottie :)

Vodka Vanilla
Bourbon Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment