Saturday, July 5, 2014

Refrigerator Pie

One of my favorite summer memories from when I was growing up was my grandmother's refrigerator pie.  I know... the name needs some work.

But!  There was nothing like eating a slice of this fruit pie.  Any fruit you wanted.  Peach was my favorite, but strawberry, raspberry, blackberry...  all are wonderful!

And for years, I thought I had lost the ability to ever enjoy this goodness again.  It was one of the few recipes I thought I had failed to procure from my grandmother.  And then, a few weeks ago, I found myself searching through the stack of handwritten recipe cards to find one entitled simply "Strawberry Pie".  I took a closer look and realized just what I had!  Refrigerator pie!  I was so thrilled I had to call my husband to gush to him about it on the phone.  The next day I went out and bought the ingredients.  And when I started making it, I was a little girl again learning to cook in my grandmother's kitchen!

And yes, it was just as good as I remembered and no, it did not last long in my fridge :)


Ingredients:
1 Graham cracker, ready made crust.
1 egg yolk
1 3 oz box flavored gelatin (aka Jello, the flavor of whatever fruit you are using)
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 quart fresh fruit (for peaches though, we generally used canned)
Whipped cream

1. Brush pie crust with one egg yolk and bake for 10 mins at 350.  Doing this helps keep the crust from crumbling apart on you when you got to cut it.  Another one of the tricks my grandmother taught me.
2. In a small sauce pan, bring sugar, cornstarch, and water to a boil.  Cook until thick. Cool slightly. Add gelatin to thickened sugar mixture and set aside.
4.  Cover bottom of pie shell with fresh fruit.  Pour gelatin mixture slowly over fruit til full. Chill pie til solid.
5. Top with whipped cream and chill til ready to serve!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment